Judy Crockett

Judy Crockett
Judy Crockett

Monday, March 25, 2013

Creating Healthy Habits Through Self-Awareness

Have you even done something and afterward realized that you hardly remember doing it?  Mindless eating is common. We've all have had the experience of mindless driving: arriving someplace and not remembering a portion of the trip. I have had days that I look back and hardly remember what I did that day - - or how I even felt during the day. We get into the habit of doing things, of going through the motions, with no consciousness or self-awareness.

In a meditation, Deepak Chopra invites his students to "create healthy habits through self-awareness." Ask yourself, "Why am I doing this?"  What a great question! So often we do things, feel things, eat things, simply out of habit. Just think about ways you might do thing differently, think or feel differently in a situation, if you took a moment just to ask yourself that simple question: "Why am I doing this?" or "Why do I feel this way?"

Simply being aware of a habit we have, or aware of a feeling that we harbour, we have the ability to change the behavior or thought if we have the desire to do so.

As well, maybe we started doing something, created a habit, for a very positive purpose: talking a daily walk, reading a positive daily message, eating a particular food, doing a daily good deed. Even good habits can become mindless. I invite you to take a minute and ask yourself, "Why am I doing this?" to reaffirm and enjoy the positive impact of your good habits, thoughts and actions as well.

Enjoy each moment of the day!

Judy

No comments: