Judy Crockett

Judy Crockett
Judy Crockett

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A "Time Out" Space in Your Home

"Go sit in the corner!"  We have all said it to our kids at one time or another -- or our parents have said it to us. We might even have a rug in the corner for the dog to get a time out. Time outs usually take place in a corner tucked away from others and with limited distraction. The corner actually is a settling place of calmness to get back on track.

I have a corner in my home that I set up just for myself. While our house is small, I was still able to create a space that is my happy place - a place where I can sit comfortably without distraction to read, think, or simply be.


In my corner, I have a rocking chair, a comfy old family heirloom. I have a small table and lamp, a candle, a comforter and a little pillow. At my feet is a beautiful Irish Claddagh woven rug -  a gift from a dear friend. When you create your space, you might choose to tuck in a small vase of flowers, your favorite books, or add soft music.

In my corner of the world, I can look outside if I want, talk on the phone, read, write, meditate, or simply rest. I have created an environment that is peaceful, calming, clean. When I look around the area, I see pictures and objects that make me feel happy and good.

Take time to make a happy place in your home when you can take a "time out" free of distraction to resettle yourself when life gets a bit crazy. Parents have relied on this practice as a way of adjusting behavior for years. It worked for you as a child; it will work for you as an adult - - maybe even better.

Go enjoy your happy place.

No comments: